Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Elder Taylor Barry Olsen

Dear Elder Taylor Barry Olsen...

For the last 2 weeks, everybody but Taylor has been forbidden from even checking the mail. As a result, Ashlee, my mom and I would all post up at windows and look for a big white envelope to come out. Kez was the honored that got to walk out with him each day. Last Wednesday, that loooooong anticipated letter finally came!

I was at work when I got a picture text from my brother saying that it was here. I screamed! The residents family that was there, were luckily ones that I'm close with so they weren't too alarmed by it. I called to find out what time he was opening it and made arrangements to run home to watch.

When I got there, I was surprised at how CALM everybody was because I was freaking out at work. I went on a walk with Taylor and Keznee and Reina to try and keep Kez awake until he opened it. When we got home, Alan came over and we started skyping with Brittany and waited to see if Jake would wake up in time to skype as well. We called the g-parents and were good to go!

Even with watching some of my friends open their's, I've never had close to the feeling that I had watching Taylor open his. He refused to tell anybody where he thought he was going and hadn't thought much about where he wanted to go. I'd already been on the verge of tears since I heard that it came, but watching him slice it with his knife, I definetly got a little bit emotional. Glad to hear that Brittany did too :)

"...You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Mexico Tijuana Mission...." He stopped there for a bit while everybody kinda gave their reactions. The first thing my mom said was "Thissss is gonna take some faith!" I don't remember who asked him but somebody said "Well Taylor what do you think?" I was really curious, especially after grandma's gasping, mom's crying and grandpa's spill on how marines went there for sex and violence. I was impressed when he said "Well, I told them I'll go wherever they need me and send me. That was the agreement!" When he said that, I suddenly had this feeling where I knew that he was going to be fine! (Despite my beloved friend who immediatly text me "What if he get's kidnapped or stabbed?!" Hey thanks! Not what I need to hear right now!) The Lord would not be sending him somewhere to hurt him and he'll have great protection while he's there.

He then kept reading through the rest of the letter. I remember that what stood out to me the most was when it said "...the Lord will reward you for the goodness of your life." Goodness. If I had to use 1 word to sum my brother up, that would probably be it! Not only that, but how it said life. It didn't say for the goodness of your last year, or your last 3 weeks; your LIFE! Taylor has always been an extremely Christ-like person! I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father only had to wait for his CRAZY, sometimes out of control, competiveness to die out of him or else he could have sent him years ago. He has such a good perspective on life. He understands that trials are to make us better. He's a perfect example of rising above and has taught me perfectly the "if some shall smite you on your cheek, turn and let them smite thee on the other also." He doesn't retaliate. He treats girls AMAZING! He's respectful and has ALWAYS honored his priesthood. He looks out for Tanner and is adorable with Keznee.


" I'm glad they called him on a mission! Now that he was grown past 6 foot 2!"


No comments:

Post a Comment