Wednesday, November 3, 2010

life in the library

If you, like me, have not made a regular visit to your local University/College library in a while now, pencil one in ASAP! I had no idea what I was missing out on!

Now granted, I did TRY during my Dixie days. A couple times at least. But for 5 straight visits, I got kicked out so it broke my momentum and will to even attempt it anymore. Turns out they are a little sensitive about you sneaking in food and they don't appreciate it when you are "unnecessarily loud". Their loss. However UVU is a new school with a new library to "degrade" so I figured I'd give it a try.

Yesterday I was camped out in here for EIGHT STRAIGHT HOURS! Yes, read that over a couple times and let it settle. 8 hours. This is longer than what I have spent in allllll my college days put together times about 10. I am back here again today and I have made a few interesting observations that I thought others might also get a kick out of.

Library Law #1: Food and drink are a MUST! Dixie does it wrong and UVU does it right because not only does UVU allow you to have snacks to get through your agonizing work, they even welcome you with a coffee shop immediatly upon your arrival through the front doors. Whoever helped build this library definetly knew what they were doing. At about hour 4 yesterday, I thought I'd celebrate and make a quick run across the street to Wally World. I was a little bit nervous for how well my shopping trip would go over with the guy at the front desk. I came walking in, proud of my Mt. Dew and Oatmeal Creme Pies and Bottle Caps and Pineapple and was trying to avoid eye contact all together when I saw him stand up. My heart sunk a little. He narrowed his eyes and looked closer, then to my surprise whispered "I LOVE oatmeal creme pies!" What a good man!

Library Law #2: Talking is not appreciated at ALLLL. Forget "unnecessarily loudness", even whispering is a heck to the no. Today I was starting to fall asleep in my biology book when this random (and extremely attractive) guy came and sat down and started up a conversation with me. Never had that happen before. At least where he wasn't a creeper! After talking for just a little while, I hear this guy behind us slam his book down and just ERRUPT! Now mind you, I really was quiet! And not even "my kind" of quiet, quiet like Mom would have been proud that I finally remmebered what an inside voice is. This guy was the farthest away from tactful that he could have been. He stood up and said "Really guys?! You're gonna make me ask you to be quiet?! Can't you take your lame hookups somewhere else?" Then huffed and sat down super dramatically. If you know me, you know that these are those situations where I either laugh hysterically or throw something back at them depending on the mood that I'm in. Luckily today was a GREAT day so I burst into laughter. This did not help the situation at alllll. The guy I was talking to, was bugged that the rude guy was being mean to me. So I hurried and packed up my stuff and left before he decided he needed to have another episode. But I couldn't help myself from first saying "Do you think the next time you decide to rip on someone, YOU could be a little quieter sir?" I got around the corner and full on ran away.

Library Law #3: Newlyweds are not allowed in. Okay so I made this up, but if I owned this place it would definelty be a real rule. There were some upstairs in a study room that obviously had the wrong meaning of "get a room." Now that I'm downstairs, there is another new couple sitting across from me that are driving me crazy. It's been an hour full of finger touches (ET style), little kisses about every 2 minutes, facebook messaging each other, cute little faces and full on "I love you" hand signal things. Gag me. Nobody likes newlyweds anyways, yet alone at the library.

Library Law #4: Seating is a cruical part in having a sucessfull library visit. If you're tired or feeling distracted, I reccomend the 4th floor large window area. The sun is ALWAYS beaming in there to keep you warm and put you to sleep. It's also got some great surface area for people watching the people coming in from their cars or leaving from class. Today I found out that red and white are the dominant car colors among us UVU-ers. If you're having a rougher day or reallllly don't want to be doing homework I reccomend a study room where you may freely play your itunes without disturbing others who are taking their study time a little more seriously.

Library Law #5: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ask the library attendant to come and re-fill the printer paper if he is in the middle of his World of Warcraft game. It. Is. Not. A. Good. Idea. He will make a scene and make you feel stupid. Just take my word for it.

Hope everyone else has a magical library experience as well! Anybody else ready for the end of semester?! Wowwww how does everyone do it for so long? Although I must say I have thouroughly enjoyed my first real semester of college. I even be-friended the cute guy in front of me in math today...maybe I'll start going even more. Happy Wednesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment