Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Looking for the fairytale?

Dear Boys...

All over the world tonight there are countless little girls being told stories and tucked into bed. Some of the stories are about dragons. Some are about witches and villians. Some are about unicorns. Some are about sports stars. Some may be about wicked step mothers and evil step sisters. Some are about fairy god mothers. Some may even be about princesses. But no matter what story they're being told, they all have 1 thing in common: the ending. "Then she married the prince and they all lived happily ever after."

We're told this from a very young age and continue to hear it throughout our whole childhood so it's no wonder that most of us girls have this engraved into our minds by the time that we decide boys no longer have cooties. That's really all we want in life is to find our prince and live happily ever after like the girls from our bedtime stories. We look at our moms and older sisters and aunts and cousins and neighbors and teachers and friends-sisters and see how happy they are with their princes and this desire grows even stronger in us. We see that maybe princes really DO exist and that it's possible to find that 1 person that you love soooo much and live happily ever after with.

The first time I had a boy be mean to me, I was devastated! This is NOT how the guys in my stories acted and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Knowing me, I probably even cried a little. Maybe even a lot. But then my teacher passed along a great piece of knowledge to me that I would never forget: "He's only mean to you because he likes you. That's just how he shows you."

I was still confused but I figured that she knew better and that some day I would figure out what she meant. Little did I know then that I would not only believe this for many years to come but also use this as an excuse in my head to let you all off easily for the wrong things that you did. Within the last couple years I have finally broke down this excuse and realized that none of the princes in my stores were like that.

We (girls) are very simple actually! You may have never realized this, but it's the SMALL gestures that you do that have the greater impact and have us gushing to our friends. If you like us, tell us. Hold the door open for us occasionally. Walk on the outer end of the sidewalk that's closer to the street. If we're sick, rub our backs. When you say you're going to call, call. Give me a kiss on the forehead. Hold my hand under the blanket. Let me in sometimes. Don't play games. Don't try and be sneaky and be talking to our friends at the same time. We're girls! We talk and I guarantee you that you will get caught! Don't talk to your friends about every time we "hookup", keep that just between us. If WE hurt YOU, don't use that as an excuse to deliberatly hurt us to get back at us. Ask us how our day went. Drop by just to say hi. Talk to our roommates and friends but don't flirt with them,there's a distinctive difference! Nevvvver make us cry.

I know that you're a guy and for whatever reason, it's hard for you to think of things like this. But don't worry! We understand that so I promise that any small effort at all is greatly appreciated and definetly noted :) Clean up your acts please because we're all kinda sick of our knights in shining armor turning out to be losers in aluminum foil.

Sincerely,
Damsels in Distress

1 comment:

  1. hahahahhahahahhaha.
    I LOVE this post. EVERYTHING IS TRUE.
    See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete