Sunday, March 14, 2010

MVP #2

In my ongoing attempt to be seeing the good in EVERYBODY, I have been thinking about my weekly "MVP" and this week it was hands down my dad!

I'm such a daddy's girl at heart! I'm the youngest of 3 girls so I think of myself as his actual "baby girl" but I'm not gonna lie, there are moments that I am "scared" of my dad. Not necessarily scared OF him but I think more scared of how he'll react or letting him down or disappointing him. In high school I had this feeling a lot more but since I've moved out we've become better friends so it isn't a feeling I get very often.

This week was CRAZZZZY! It was Spring Break but I had work every single day so I wasn't able to go anywhere. On top of having work everyday, my karma felt it necessary to have something go wrong EVERY SINGLE DAY. Nothing will compare to Tuesday though!

To make a long story short I will just give you a quick rundown: I had to be to work by 2 and I knew I didn't have any clean scrubs so I HAD to get laundry done. However, it rained so hard Monday night that the power got knocked out and I didn't wake up until about 11. I woke up to our house a mess and smelling like fish ONCE AGAIN! (Kudos to you though for actually cooking!) Late Monday night I'd had car problems and had to have it jumped literally 5 times so I wanted to take it in to get looked at. Went outside with my laundry basket and it STILLLLL wouldn't start! GREAT! To make the laundry a long story short, I had to walk it over 5 buildings to the clubhouse to get it started, forgot my quarters so had to walk back, forgot my soap so had to go back AGAIN and then didn't even have enough to do it all anyways. I weighed it before all of this started because I haven't done it in weeks so I knew I had a lot. YEAH 14 pounds worth! I have a bruise just about the size of a football on my hip from all of my walking. Did I mention that we STILLLLL have rain pouring this whole time? I was drenched.

Ericka left work to come and jump it for me to get to the shop. 2 hours later I was finally leaving with a new battery and not quite as much dignity due to my lack of car knowledge, my sticking horn, and my apparently annoying cell phone ring. I thought I'd swing by the school to talk to my probation "officer" because I was supposed to do it 2 weeks again and still hadn't. As soon as I got there, I realized I'd taken my backpack out the night before. So I decided to do it the next day but forgot to call him back and tell him nevermind again.

I pull up to the clubhouse to switch laundry, realizing that I only had 45 minutes until work and they took 30 minutes to dry so it was going to be close. At this point.....it's STILLLLL down pouring rain! So I jump out of my car and I sprint about 10 feet before I realize that I ONCE AGAIN left my quarters sitting in my purse, on the front seat of my car. I get back to my car ready to fly my door open, grab my purse and book it inside when I see something interesting sitting in the front seat of my car....my keys :( Yes indeed I had locked myself out!

Apparantly the cops don't open cars up anymore due to liability issues so I had to call "The Key Man." It took him 20 minutes to get there (while I'm once again stranded in the rain) and about 20 seconds to unlock then turns and tells me 40 bucks. A joke!! That was the most ridiculous thing I'd heard. Muttering to myself, I hand him my card then watch him swipe it over and over again before he tells me it isn't working.

Time for my call of shame. After already calling my dad 9 times asking him car questions that morning, I knew he'd be a little surprised to see that I was once again in need. The key van followed me to Maverick (for the ATM) while I was in my car trying to hold my diginity and my tears together while I tell my dad I needed to borrow some money and explained to him what an awful day I was having.

I was scared that maybe he'd be disappointed. I thought he'd ask more of exactly how I jumped out my car without my keys. I was afraid that he wouldn't answer the phone. I'd be afraid that he'd be annoyed that I was calling AGAIN. I was afraid he'd ask a lot of questions about why I didn't have a simple 40 dollars. He didn't though. He was VERY calm and helpful. He even calmed ME down and didn't even laugh when I just kept saying how I just wanted to go to bed and end the day, he just kept telling me that it'd be fine, and to go to work, go to bed after and things would be better.

This awful day goes on to me going to work in wet underwear and scrubs. It goes on to me getting thrown up on within 15 minutes of getting to work. It goes on to me getting called off anyways so being thrown up on was TOTALLY un-necessary. It goes on to me being home alone that night because everybody had gone to Mesquite...where I was SUPPOSED to go before my schedule got mesed up and I got called in...only to be called off again. It goes on to me finally going in to see my probation officer and getting a little lecture about doing better. It goes on me face planting it when I walked inside my house because I was balancing my phone and laundry and got caught up in our rug. It was an awful day to say the least.

But after talking to my dad, it really didn't seem quite as bad anymore. He has a way of being able to be amazingly comforting even from so far away. Just that simple 5 minute conversation made me feel so re-assured that everything really would be okay.

Other things about my dad? Just knowing that he is home at night makes me feel SOOO safe! When he was gone for business I would never sleep as good as when he was there. I love when I go home now because it's the same way. Down here I still sleep good, but in Provo it's GREAT because I know he's looking out for me. He's told us before that he has never once tried drinking or any drugs. I love that about him! He made a HUGE effort to make it to all of my extracurricular things in high school which was definetly not easy. Multiple times he'd be our only support at all. He took off work so many times to be there. The only times he ever did miss was when he was out of town. He's always been such an amazing example of a good priesthood holder. He's on his second round of Bishop and he's doing an amazing job! More than just priesthood though, he's a good example all around! He treats my mom the way that she deserves and he's set a very high bar for the kind of guy that I want to marry! And he has raised my brothers SOOO GOOD and passed all of it along to them.

My dad was never a fan of how we decorated our room. He didn't understand why we wanted to cover every single wall in pictures. He was REALLY against it at first but I think it kind of grew on him and even though he was still slightly annoyed by it, it become more of a joke. When I was moving out, he came down that morning as I was finishing packing and he said "This is kind of depressing now with how empty this is." He gave me a hug and it started my water works for the day.


I LOVE YOU DAD! Thanks for....everything! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment