Monday, March 7, 2011

feliz cumpleanos a me hermana

You know those people in your life that you know you couldn't live without? Or the people that make your life that much better? Those people that you get soooo excited about everytime you see them? Those people that have you laughing without end? Those people that know you better than you know yourself? Those people that you sometimes don't see for a while but when you do it's as if nothing ever changed? Those people you love? Please meet my friend Dom! Today is her 22nd birthday so (as usual) I thought it was a good time to look back and say some of what she means to me:
1. The first time I ever met Dom was at volleyball tryouts my freshman (her sophmore) year. I thought that everyone was calling her "Dum-Dum" and even though I thought it was weird, I remember being so impressed with how chill she was that she could joke around like that with everybody.
2. Dom and I once took on New York together :) It was quite possibly one of the greatest trips of my whole life. How do I even begin to talk about this trip?! That's the point where Dom and I started getting SUPER close! I'm always so grateful for this because she ended up being such a huge influence in my life from that point on. I may or may not have squirted Capri Sun in my eyes and choked on a bag of marshmallows while Dom died laughing; Knicks vs. Mix; laughing at Lamont; "Johnny" the good fairy, racing up the Empire State Building, pissing off Zach Sherman, talking with funny accents all of Ellis Island; stromboli; falling asleep at all of our conferences; 2 broadway shows, amazzzzing shopping and of course...we won't talk about take off on the way home. :(

3. One word: Wendy's
4. Sometimes Dom and I would be so determined NOT to go to class that we once ran through the parking lot completly haunched over, and then continued to walk the couple blocks to her house because neither of us had driven that day.
5. We had to do FCCLA in order to go to New York and we made that thing into the biggest joke in the world. Thank you Sherman for never killing us no matter how many times you have wanted to :)
6. "What the HELL?! Why do you look like you're going to the beach?!"
7. Dom introduced our team to the "chicken and crackers" classic that we all fell in love with and had to take to everyyyy game and tournament with us.
8. Dom has ALWAYS had my back! So much in fact that she even had one of her other friends mad at her, because Dom wouldn't give me up as her "source" for some information that we found out. This was one of the many times that Dom taught me what it means to be a true friend

9. For years we had always talked about how we wanted to dance to "Bless the Broken Road" at each of our weddings... I cried a little watching her and Losi finally live this dream
10. "CHAUNNY WHY THE HELL IS THE YELLOW LINE ON MY SIDE OF THE ROAD?!" And did I mention that Dom was the one that taught me how to gas my car? :)
11. Y parking lot! My dad had this rule that I had to have my cell phone off after 10 but Dom needed directions up there so I crawled under my bed and tried to whisper them to her while she got more and more and more lost. Another time we took 2 other people up there in the middle of winter, right after a snow storm. We were the only 2 laughing as we slowly, slowly slid down the mountain.
12. One of our games Dom wasn't even in at the time and Ashlyn got a yellow card that somehow was given to Dom
13. Dom thinking: She doesn't even want to know what happened... Me: "Okayyyy so want to know what happened?!" Once again Sherman...thanks for not killing us!
14. These little bubble wraps things were impressively fun to play with at practice one day. Coach got sick of us popping them and wanted us to go run, threatening if we popped anymore. We thought she was in the soundroom and ran over and popped a tonnnnn more. Coach wasn't in the sound room...and I've never been more scared of her in my life.
15. We didn't miss a single football game and yet we somehow NEVER made it in time for a single kick off either. We celebrated 2 state football championships together!
16. Dom once sent me a text that she started "Hey Chaunny I know this is super random..." and went on for a bit about how glad she was we were friends. I'm pretty sure she will never realize just how much it meant to me, and how badly I needed that that night.
17. For a few years now I've felt like an honorary "Uata" girl. Dom introduced me to her family and let me kinda become a part of them, especially during a time when I wasn't very interested in my own.
18. For Dom's 18th birthday (appropriate that it's #18...) I got Dom tickets to Rascal Flatts when they came to Salt Lake. She was too scared to open it, but was crying once she figured out it was for real. I'm so happy that we not only got to see our FAVORITE band, but it was also Dom's first ever concert.
19. Dom helped me to find "the good guys" and to be respected. One of my FAVORITE nights of all of last semester was ripping some papers to shreads ;) and catching up, talking about the guys we wanted (and that she got) and where we wanted to go in life. (p.s. I still have those pieces to burn!)
20. One of my favorite nights of Junior year was when Veronica and us drove up to the basketball game at Lehi! We jammed the WHOLE way there and listened to Rascal Flatts "Here's To You" the whole way and had a full on dance made up by the time we were home. Best. Drive. Ever.
21. Dom is always downnnn! She's down for crazy adventures, she's down for chill nights, she's down for sweats to movies, she's down for ice skating, she's down for food runs, she's down for drives...you name it and she'll be there! And she seriously will have me cracking up the WHOLE time!
22. Dom was the first of my close friends in "that group" to get married. She allowed me to be a part of it by being one of her bridesmaids :) I was sooooo excited when she asked me and felt honored that she'd let me a part of her big day. I loved helping her pick out dresses :) I loved that we walked down the asile to "Love Story". I loved helping her get her dress on for the reception. I loved that she continued to be such a big example to me and got married in the temple. She did the "right time, right place, right person" thing and watching her and Losi walk out of the temple after being sealed, you could tell how happy they were and I have never been more proud/excited for her in my life!
Love you DOM DOM! Thanks for everything that I couldn't even begin to thank you for! You literally saved my life when I moved to Provo and I'm glad you've stayed such a big part of it. Loooooove you and Happy Happy Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment