Thursday, August 19, 2010

"feels like home"

Have you ever thought back to where you were a year ago? To the day! How often have you been able to remember everything about it? I mean, everything! One year ago today, was the biggest day of my life so far: the day I left for China.

I remember every microscopic detail of that day. I remember waking up that morning with a little bit of panic that I STILL hadn't packed. I had piles all over the floor but not a single thing actually in a bag. I remember eating chicken and baked potatoes. I remember what songs I listened to. I remember wearing my gray shorts and my "Rebel Recess" shirt. I remember talking to Rachel on facebook saying how excited we were for all of us to meet and just finally get there. I remember Casey coming over to say bye for seriously the 5th time! I remember Brad, Raife and Sam passing the phone around saying bye. I remember Jess and Nicole coming over to say bye and bring me my last Frosty. I remember Adaiza bringing over the photo album she'd made of our year at Dixie. I remember tearing up kissing little Kez bye. I remember Er texting me "Give me hell Chan! Show em how we do in the US of A!". I remember not being nervous or anxious or scared even ONCE for the 6 months before I left, but I can tell you the exact spot on the freeway where my stomach dropped and I almost crapped my pants when it finally hit me that I was going to live in CHINA, BY MYSELF, for FOUR months. I believe "What the HELL am I doing?!" were the words that came to mind.

I remeber Shelley being in front of me to check bags and getting so excited when we realized we were in the same group. I remember meeting Allie right outside the security gates. I remember my heart going crazy telling my parents and Britt bye. I was sooo proud of myself for not crying, even though they were. I remember turning away from our families with All and Shell and this instant, excitement taking over me. I have never felt like that! I remember walking through security and turning to wave at my family (still watching) and tearing up just a little bit when I finally turned to head to my terminal. I remmeber sitting on the floor outside of the gate and starting to get to know everybody. I remember getting on the plane to LA thinking "This is it! No turning back anymore." When the plane lifted off, I had a feeling that I was going to burst into hysterical tears at any second, but I was too excited. I never had a single tear :)

It took us almost 3 days to get there and August 20th didn't even exist because of the time changes. Our first night there, I have never felt more alone in my life. I couldn't call or text anybody and tell them what kind of craziness I was already going through. I didn't have a TV or music to "feel the silence." I was literally on the other side of the world from anybody that I knew. Even then, I STILL didn't cry. I quickly got to know the people I went with and grew to love them. A lot more than I thought I would have actually! I can easily say that they changed my life.

The first of 6 flights to getting home. Yes I have pants hidden in that pillo because my bags were sooooo overweight already

WE LOVE WENDY!


Took me 4 months but I finally got my picture with "Dumbledore"
The last night we went to tuck them in. This is Dave and one of my FAVORITE kids!
Party for Ruth and Shelley's birthdays that turned into a HUGE cake fight
Going through the gates of our first flight. Last time we ever saw Bill, Tim, Wendy and Kelly
Bike riding in Yangshuo. Right as we met the German boys and right before Alba got a bloody nose
I remember thinking I was extremely clever haha Outside the Forbidden City, in Tennemen Square
Birds Nest, Olympics 2008
Hiking 70.000 steps up a mountain. Goobered up with our matching hats and one of the funnest days of that whole month

Cape of Chongshong
RINGO! I love this little boy with all my heart
A typical meal for us :)
First signicant snowfall of Weihai. We walked around FREEEEEZING, singing Christmas songs with 2 weeks before we came home.
HAHAHA funniest day of my life with Niki and I deteremined to get our pizza. "We do shit together!"




Chase...he WILL be a Korean Hitler one day
Water buffalo in Yangshuo. My favorite city that we visited!


ERIC! Um we are still going to Colgne to find him and Tonic. My favorite person that we met. Pretty sure I laughed so hard that I was scared of peeing my pants, multiple times.
:)
Playing in the Yellow Sea
Windows on The Great Wall

Sunsets from our roof
The day we went to hike the Wall, it was POURING rain and it rains harder in China that I've seen in my whole life!
First train ride, going to Beijing





Steve-o! The heart throb down the hall

China is the most incredible and best thing that I have ever done! I have never been hotter in my life. I have never been COLDER in my life. I have never wanted a long, hot, clean shower more than I did at the end of those 4 months. But it was alll worth it. The day we left, we all gather in the Laurens room and we sang "God Be With You 'Til We Meet Again" with the other American teacher from down the hall. Not even 4 words out, I was bawling! It was so sad to leave this place that had literally become my HOME in the last 4 months. We said a prayer that we'd travel safe and then opened the door to find good ol Tim and 30 of his students ready to haul our bags down for us. Saying goodbye was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It was a total feeling of I am never going to see you again. I cried and cried and cried. Even after I got home, I'd randomly cry over seemingly nothing for almost a whole month.
Wo ai zhoungguo! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment