Monday, November 23, 2009

Bursting with American Pride!

So this is definetly a post that you'd expect to show up during the 4th of July time of the year. But it's on my mind very strongly right now so I figured I'd blog about it anyways.

There's certain times/songs that give me that "I'm so happy to be American!" type of feeling, but it's kinda rare. Some of these moments are at a concert, at Stadium of Fire with the fly overs, listening to Presidents give speeches, watching movies or looking at books about Pearl Harbor or September 11th, certain country songs and of course the 4th of July!

Since being in China, this feeling has come up A LOT! None so much as what it hit me today though. I know it probably doesn't make sense to anybody else, but I wanted to write it down for me anyways!

We're back in Beijing today and our hostel is right on Tiennaman Square. Last night we got talking about how crazy some of the Chinese history is, how odd the government is, the blessings and advantages we have in the states etc. That sparked a little bit of the pride in me but then I quickly moved on to our other funny conversations.

Today we got up and went and toured The Forbidden City. It was so interesting! When we left we got into an interesting conversation that would be hard to relate without you being there. When we got down to the subway we realized that our ride would be about 40 minutes so I decided to pull out my ipod. The FIRST song that came on, I was SOOOOO excited! And so then that one finished and the next one started and it was almost impossible to restrain myself! That's when my "bursting" came out in full force!

Quick side notes: 1 have been in China for about 3 1/2 months now and will be going home in about 3 weeks. I have hit the point where I can't wait to get there! We're playing the game "What will you do first? What boy are you calling first? What are you going to eat? I can't wait to do laundry" etc etc etc. So already "America" and how great it is has been on my mind.

Other side note... a few weeks ago my sister Ashlee emailed me and told me that my brother in law is going to be deployed relatively soon. :( That sucks! Especially when you look at pictures of their 3 1/2 month old baby they just had. I can't even imagine what is going through their minds with it. This made "the war" and all the economic times and scary things right now, totally hit home with me!

So what were the songs that came on? The first one: It's America by Rodney Atkins! It's one of those songs that tend to get me excited as it is, but in the context of today it was just overwhelming in a sense! I'll post the lyrics for those that have never heard it but I HIGHLY reccomend that everybody go and listen to it!

The 2nd song...Only in America by Brooks and Dunn. I LOVE this song as it is, and also another one that gets me excited! It always reminds me of going to Stadium of Fire with my brother and them singing it, while shooting off the firecrackers, broadcasting live to the soliders in Iraq, and the soliders that they had standing up on stage. That alone was an amazing experience! I'll put the lyrics on here too but again...GO AND LISTEN TO IT!

Obviously, living in China has changed my perspective so much and it really has made me realize just how much we truly do have as Americans! There's so many lines in this song that hit me and I'm like yeah that's definetly true. And with Jake, it makes me realize just what it takes to defend it and keep it as good as it is. So to everyone not in the military, support them! I hate when you see people disrespecting them and treating them like crap. The best moment ever was at a parade last year. They had the troops walking through it and this lady spit on one of them. The drill sergant was immediatly in her face but he was fairly calm. I loved what he said to her though and I'll never forget it: "Ma'am you should be ashamed of yourself. Half of me wants to throw you to the ground right now for treating an American SOLIDER like that! I don't give a damn how you feel about the war, but you WILL treat these soliders with respect! They're over there fighting to keep your freedom to do what you just did!" In a way the last part didn't really make sense, but I think I get what he meant. And to those that are in the military, thank you! I really have never realized just how great America really is before I came!

"It's America"
Drivin' down the street today
Saw the sign for lemonade
They were the cutest kids
I've ever seen in this front yard

As they handed me my glass
Smiled and thinkin' to myself
Man what a picture perfect postcard this would make
Of america

It's a high school prom
It's a springstein song
It's a ride in a chevrolet
It's a man on the moon
And fireflies in June
Kids sellin lemonade
It's cities and farms
It's open arms
One nation under god
It's america

Later on when I got home
I flipped the t.v on
I saw a little town that some big
Twister tore apart
People came from miles around
Just to help their neighbors out
And I was thinkin' to my self
I'M SO GLAD THAT I LIVE IN AMERICA

It's a high school prom
It's a springstein song
It's a ride in a cheverlet
It's a man on the moon
And fireflies in June
Kids sellin lemonade
It's cities and farms
And open arms
One nation under god
It's america

Now we might not always get it right
But there's nowhere else I'd rather build my life

Cause it's a kid with a chance
It's a rock n roll band
It's a farmer cuttin' hay

It's a big flag flyin in the summer wind
Over a fallen hero's grave.

It's a high school prom
It's a springstein song
It's a welcome home parade
It's a man on the moon
And fireflies in June
Kids sellin lemonade
It's cities and farms
And open arms
One nation under god
IT'S AMERICA

"Only in America"
Sun coming up over New York City
School bus driver in a traffic jam
Starin' at the faces in her rearview mirror
Looking at the promise of the Promised Land
One kid dreams of fame and fortune
One kid helps pay the rent
One could end up going to prison
One just might be president

Only in America
Dreaming in red, white and blue
Only in America
Where we dream as big as we want to
We all get a chance
Everybody gets to dance
Only in America

Sun going down on an La. freeway
Newlyweds in the back of a limousine
A welder's son and a banker's daughter
All they want is everything
She came out here to be an actress
He was the singer in a band
They just might go back to Oklahoma
And talk about the stars they could have been

Only in America
Where we dream in red, white and blue
Only in America
Where we dream as big as we want to
We all get a chance
Everybody gets to dance
Only in America

Yeah only in America
Where we dream in red, white and blue
Yeah we dream as big as we want to




Love and miss you all! See you back in "The Great Country" in...28 more days!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment